New article on the JISC e-Learning Focus site about the JoinIn project I was involved just before I moved over to the OpenLearn project: JoinIn project: Sharing Groups between LAMS and Moodle
Posts tagged ‘joinin’
Had the final project meeting for the JoinIn project last week, up in Manchester, so we demo’d all the software runing from my tablet PC. All seemed to go well, we’d had a bit of a frantic time getting it running properly, as I was using different versions of PHP and Moodle to the versions Juliette had been using on her machine for the development work. Anyway, all worked out well in the end – just got to help finish writing the final report for the project now.
Last week in IET this week before I move over to KMi, so have got lots of packing to do! Looking forward to getting started full time in KMi though 🙂
Things have been progressing well on the Moodle side of the things over the last few weeks, there has been a lot to cover and think about with this, especially with the fact that the groups code is spread throughout Moodle. Juliette gave a presentation yesterday at the MoodleMoot conference about some of the issues that have arisen and how is could be properly integrated in Moodle Core.
We received details yesterday about the end of programme show and tell meeting, so we’ve got to demonstrate the work we’ve done next week, most of which should be fine, though it’ll be difficult to demo the LAMS, as they’re not going to get chance to do the LAMS-Moodle integration code updated in the LAMS v2 until later in Sept, although the coding has been done for LAMS v1.
Attended the JISC Peer Review meeting in Oxford yesterday, which I found really useful. We were paired up with the ioMorph project from Phosphorix, which Juliette and I reviewed last week. We got on really well with their project, found it really to install and use, but also managed to give them some constructive feedback. They managed to get our JoinIn software installed and running easily enough (so they say!), but we also had some good feedback from them about what we could improve.
I found it very worthwhile doing the project review, especially as the project weren’t being formally assessed as such, but was good to get some feedback. Confirming that someone else can read the website, get all the code downloaded and running was positive from our point of view, so hope that they run this type of peer review in future programmes 🙂
Now got the JoinIn project website up and live for people to look at: http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/index.cfm?wpid=6117 If you find anything missing or the instructions aren’t clear enough etc etc, then please let us know!
We’re getting very close to having the JoinIn project finished off now, and have had some potential good news in that the updates we’ve (well, Juliette has !) done to the Moodle grouping interface might be incorporated into the Moodle core.
Got a bit frustrated with SourceForge today!! I was trying to check in some changes I’d made to joinin.cvs.sf.net but it kept failing because the address couldn’t be found. Turns out that I have to use joinin.cvs.sourceforge.net and that worked ok, but meant I had to check everything out to a new location then overwrite that version and check in again – all a lot of hassle for something that worked fine a week or so ago 🙁
Also looking at setting up a proper website for the JoinIn project, so that it’s not just this blog page, we’ve already created an area on the OU KN for the project and we’re just getting the content updated, so once that’s done and we’ve made the pages public, I’ll post the link up.
For info the Lams – Moodle integration code can be found at:
http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle/mod/lams/ – for the module in Moodle – this is currently in the process of being updated to work with Moodle 1.6.
The code required on the LAMS side is built into to the LAMS core, and is being updated to work with the updated version of LAMS (v2). By default these two modules with just communicate directly with each other, rather than going via an IMS Enterprise Service, and each of LAMS & Moodle modules will have a configuration option to enable communication with the Enterprise Service.
Hurray! – have now finished (*I think*) creating all the services that we need using the ES SDK, and it all seems to be working fine, I’ve updated my standalone application so it now runs by connecting to the EnterpriseClient (which in turn connects to EnterpriseServer, then on to my sample database). I’ve tried to put all the changes back up on SF but it appears to be down at the moment (or at least I can’t connect).
There are still the methods that I couldn’t figure out how to achieve in IMS ES which still bypass the SDK, but I don’t think there’s going to be much I can do about that. So now I can get on and start sorting out how the LAMS-Moodle module needs to be updated to use these services and the Moodle API.
Problems with the membership service now solved!! – I think 😉
Scott asked to me check the DataBridgeImpl class, and there was the problem, the newManagementService() method was returning null rather than a new MembershipManagementImpl(). So hope to be able to get on and implement the membership services properly rather than the horrible hack I had before.
Unfortunately, I think we’ll still need to add a couple of our own service methods which aren’t part of the IMS ES spec. For example, in the standalone interface, this has no database behind it, so in order to display anything, it needs a starting point. So we need a method called something like readAllTopLevelGroups – (with no parameters, and returns all the groups with no parent), whereas all the IMS ES service method require a starting identifier.