I’ve spent the last few days starting to rewrite the mobile HEAT application. The two main reasons for doing this are:
- To create the app as a native Android app. The original app was using PhoneGap and although I really like the fact that the app can be written in HTML5 (and so easier to port to other mobile operating systems), I was just finding that the app ran far to slowly. It would take several seconds just to load a page and it made the app really annoying to use. The fact that we could create an app for other mobile operating systems isn’t a huge bonus for us, it’s likely that we’d be providing the hardware for users of this system, unlike, say Moodle Mobile, which has recently announced it’s moving from a native app to an HTML5 app.
- I wanted the app to be a general mobile training content application, so it’s just a shell app into which you can drop or download the specific modules you want to use (although I could have implemented this in the previous PhoneGap/HTML5 version)
Here are a few screenshots:
With the new app I can drop in new training content zip files (generated by an output script in Moodle) and it will automatically load in the app. I can track my progress with a given module and the activities within a module. I’ve made a new navigation for the activities in each section, the previous app had a set of tabs to navigate, but this meant there was a limit on the length of the tab text and number of tabs before it started wrapping and nasty. Not sure if what I’ve now got is exactly right, but it seems a lot more flexible for having more activities within a given section, and for longer titles.
Although there is still much work to be done, I much prefer the new application already, being a lot quicker, it just feels a lot nicer to use, plus I find it really handy to be able to drop in training modules for installing. The main areas for me to focus on next are:
- Submitting tracking and activity output back to the server
- Selection and downloading of modules (rather than needing to manually copy zip files onto the sdcard)
- Figure out how to switch languages within the app
Once I get the app a bit more finished I’ll make it available for download so you can test it out.