Archive for May 2006

Wednesday 31 May 06

Got a bit frustrated with SourceForge today!! I was trying to check in some changes I’d made to joinin.cvs.sf.net but it kept failing because the address couldn’t be found. Turns out that I have to use joinin.cvs.sourceforge.net and that worked ok, but meant I had to check everything out to a new location then overwrite that version and check in again – all a lot of hassle for something that worked fine a week or so ago 🙁

Also looking at setting up a proper website for the JoinIn project, so that it’s not just this blog page, we’ve already created an area on the OU KN for the project and we’re just getting the content updated, so once that’s done and we’ve made the pages public, I’ll post the link up.

Monday 29 May 06

For info the Lams – Moodle integration code can be found at:

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle/mod/lams/
– for the module in Moodle – this is currently in the process of being updated to work with Moodle 1.6.

The code required on the LAMS side is built into to the LAMS core, and is being updated to work with the updated version of LAMS (v2). By default these two modules with just communicate directly with each other, rather than going via an IMS Enterprise Service, and each of LAMS & Moodle modules will have a configuration option to enable communication with the Enterprise Service.

Thursday 25 May 06

I’ve been writing up the process etc that I’m going through in creating a new LAMS tool and it’s available on the LAMS wiki site.

Tuesday 23 May 06

Progress on the LAMS tool is still being a bit grindingly slow 🙁 but the reason for this is that the laptop I’m trying to run LAMS on isn’t really quite up to the job – it’s been taking about 6-8 mins to start up JBoss, and almost every change I make to the code requires a complete restart. Unfortunately I can’t just restart the tool context, because the LAMS core may have made references to the objects in my tool, so redeploying the tool corrupts all the references 🙁

At least I am beginning to understand more of how it all works though – so that’s a good start!!

Friday 19 May 06

Making gradual progress on creating a LAMS tool ! Just trying to figure my way around all the various classes and configuration files etc that need to be created in order to create and deploy the tool, whilst fitting in with the LAMS tool contract The tool itself isn’t anything special (!), just a little forum application, so I’m only doing this to find out more about the new LAMS architecture. Several frameworks are used in creating the tools, some of which I’ve used before (so vaguely understand!) and others I’ve not (eg Spring).

Wednesday 17 May 06

After a bit of fiddling I’ve managed to build LAMS from the current source code and get it running on my laptop. I had to compile it a couple of times as I’d missed a couple of the config options first time around, but apart from that it was very straightforward (following the instructions on the LAMS wiki).

So now looking at how to create a new LAMS tool…

Tuesday 16 May 06

Now got a little drag and drop interface running for moving users between groups. Seems to work well, but there are still a few bits to get finished off – but I’ll probably leave that for now.

At the moment I’m attempting to build LAMS on my tablet PC – hopefully it won;t be too slow on there!! I’ve got all the components downloaded and installed (all the right versions of JBoss, MySQL etc, plus all the current source code for LAMS 2.0), so ‘just’ now need to get it all configured and compiled 🙂

Friday 12 May 06

I’ve been testing out another javascript library for creating the drag and drop interface, this one seems to be more what I was looking for, in that I’ve got working examples of moving objects from one ‘box’ and back again. Hopefully should have something working well by the end of today 😉

Wednesday 10 May 06

Hurray! – have now finished (*I think*) creating all the services that we need using the ES SDK, and it all seems to be working fine, I’ve updated my standalone application so it now runs by connecting to the EnterpriseClient (which in turn connects to EnterpriseServer, then on to my sample database). I’ve tried to put all the changes back up on SF but it appears to be down at the moment (or at least I can’t connect).

There are still the methods that I couldn’t figure out how to achieve in IMS ES which still bypass the SDK, but I don’t think there’s going to be much I can do about that. So now I can get on and start sorting out how the LAMS-Moodle module needs to be updated to use these services and the Moodle API.

Tuesday 9 May 06

Problems with the membership service now solved!! – I think 😉

Scott asked to me check the DataBridgeImpl class, and there was the problem, the newManagementService() method was returning null rather than a new MembershipManagementImpl(). So hope to be able to get on and implement the membership services properly rather than the horrible hack I had before.

Unfortunately, I think we’ll still need to add a couple of our own service methods which aren’t part of the IMS ES spec. For example, in the standalone interface, this has no database behind it, so in order to display anything, it needs a starting point. So we need a method called something like readAllTopLevelGroups – (with no parameters, and returns all the groups with no parent), whereas all the IMS ES service method require a starting identifier.