I’ve now got the player running on Linux. It’s been a bit of a pain to figure this one out as we’ve not got a linux machine here that I can just use and test things out on, so I’ve been relying on ther people to test any changes I make and let me know about any errors that occur. In version 2 most of the player appeared to work ok on linux, but a few pages in some UoLs causes errors. This turned out to be pages with ‘global content’ (ie they ask the user to enter details or upload a file and stores the data in LD properties) and the problem was that the stylesheet which did the transformation referenced a function which was in another XSL file. Even though the include statement appeared fine (and worked fine on windows) it caused the player to fall over on linux. Once I moved the function to just within the main stylesheet, all seemed to work fine. I’m sure that it’s solvable in a better way than I’ve done it, but this fix will do for now 😉
Archive for September 2005
I’ve now got the Sled player running on Linux, more details are in the Learning Design section
I’ve now finally got round to putting up the first version of my Sudoku solver program and online demo.
I have released the latest version of the Sled player to the SourceForge website. For installation instructions and download links, please visit the ‘technical’ section on the Sled website.
Now that we have the Sled website up and running, I’ll no longer be maintaining the Sled installation instructions on this website, however I’ll continue here with this blog, so you can keep up to date (ish!) with developments.
I have now released the latest version of the Sled player on the Sourceforge website. You can find the installation instructions and download links in the ‘technical’ section on the Sled website.
In some of my spare time at home, I’ve developed a sudoku solver program, which is nearly ready for me to make available. It uses jsp & servlet technology, and should run on tomcat or jboss. I’ve still got a few bits to finish off – the web interface is a bit basic at the moment, but so far the engine that actually solves the sudoku seems solid – well I’ve not managed to get it to fall over yet!! The actual engine isn’t particularly sophisticated, just keeps track of which numbers can go where and updates this everytime a new box is set to a particular number, it can then find which numbers can only go in a particular column, row, square, or group of squares in order to solve the sudoku.
The web interface can:
- give you hints as to where the next numbers go
- show you the solution to the whole grid
- tell you whether or not the engine is able to solve the sudoku in it’s current state (if either it’s not solvable at all, or if not enough numbers are present to determine the solution)
- allow you to work on and solve 9×9 and 16×16 square sudokus – in fact the engine will cope with any size.
Anyway, hope to get this posted up in the next few days 😉
Today I’m having a go at installing the OSPI ePortfolio system (http://www.osportfolio.org), as we need to have an ePortfolio system set up to link to with the Learning Design Player. We need an ePortfolio system which has either a java or webserivces API to it,and it appears that OSPI does, however the documentation on this area seems quite ‘slim’, so I’m not going to know for sure that it is suitable for us until I get it installed and have had a play. The other problem I’m going to have with OSPI is that I don’t know very much about ePortfolio, OSPI appears to have a lot of features and I’ll need to try and get my head around it all. However I think in terms of this projet we do not have to cover every possibile function, we just need to show with a couple of functions that it is possible to link up and demonstrate how it could be done – leaving the hard work of full integration either to someone else (!) or the next project!
Have now got the problem resolved where the new version of the player was running on some machines but not others. The problem turned out to be (thanks to Hubert at OUNL for pointing this out!!) that I was compiling the files using Java version 1.5 and the machines where the problem were occuring were running Java 1.4. So, once I had recompiled the files using Java 1.4 it worked on the machines where I was previously getting errors. Once other have had chance to check that it has fixed the problem on their machines I’ll get a new release of the player up on Sourceforge.
Have just tried to copy the files over from the ‘working machine’ ot the ‘non-working machine’ and it seems to have ‘sort-of’ fixed the problem. I say sort-of because if I run CopperCore manually (by double clicking the .bat file) it will all work ok, however, if I have CopperCore installed as a service (as I was doing with the previous version of CopperCore/Sled), then I get the error message:
Come across a little problem with the new version of the Sled player that I’ve been building, though it seems a little erratic. The problem only appears to occur on some PCs – it works fine on my desktop PC and another couple of machines that I’ve installed it all on, however on another couple of machines as soon as someone tries to log in they get the error message:
I’ve tried reinstalling everything from scratch (including checking that the same version of the JDK is being used), but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. My next option is to just copy the whole CopperCore and Sled directories over to the other PCs and see if that makes any difference (or not!).